Top Ten Chinese herbs - these herbs are considered very common, they are used for ages in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
The following is a list of some of the best Chinese herbs:
10. Danggui (Angelica sinensis, 当归) is an aromatic herb that grows in China, Japan and Korea. It is used to regulate the menstrual cycle and to treat menopausal symptoms caused by hormonal changes. Even though it is good for women, it also helps treat the heart, spleen, liver and kidneys that help both men and women. The effect of the herb in treating menstrual cramps is explained by the compounds that help relax the muscle tissue and relieves pain. Dang Gui also stimulates the central nervous system, which can remedy menstrual weakness and headaches.
9. Cháihú (Bupleurum, 柴胡) is useful for the treatment of liver diseases, skin ailments, arthritis, menopausal syndrome, withdrawal from corticosteroid use, nephritis, stress-induced ulcers, and mental disorders. Bupleurum is rich in saponins that reduce inflammation and regulates hormone levels.
8. Huánglián (Coptis chinensis, 黄莲) is an underground stem that is one of the bitterest herbs used in Chinese medicine. Coptis has many uses including the treatment of skin diseases, intestinal infections, hypertensions and insomnia.
7. Jiāng (Ginger, 干姜) is a herb and a spice that can be used for many uses in Chinese medicine. Ginger is highly spicy and is beneficial to digestion, neutralizing poisons in food, ventilating the lungs, to warm the circulation to the limbs, diarrhea and heart conditions. Many herbalists use ginger to treat coughs and the common cold. It is famous for treating nausea.
6. Dìhuáng (Rehmannia, 地黄) is a root where the dark, moist part of the herb is used to nourish the blood and the hormonal system. It is usually used in the treatment problems of aging because the herbs ability to restore the levels of several declining hormones. There are two forms of the herb that are currently used. One is designated sheng dihuang or raw rehmannia is given to reduce inflammation. The other designated shou dihuang or cooked rehmannia is used as a nourishing tonic. Often the two forms are combined together in equal proportions to address inflammatory problems. This herb is mostly used in making decoctions or dried decoctions. This herb is in a famous formula called Liu Wei Di Huang Wan which treats yin deficiency.
5. Huángqí (Astragalus, 黄耆) This is a herb that has been used as an immunity booster in China for the last 4000 years. Astragalus is primarily considered a tonic for enhancing metabolism and digestion and is consumed as a tea or soup made from the roots of the plant, often in combination with other medicinal herbs. It is also traditionally used to strengthen the immune system and in the healing of wounds and injuries.
4. Máhuáng (Ephedra sinica, 麻黄) has been used as a herbal remedy in traditional Chinese medicine for 5,000 years for the treatment of asthma and hay fever, as well as for the common cold. It is a strong stimulant which constricts blood vessels and increases blood pressure and heart rate.
3. Gāncǎo (Licorice root, 甘草) is another well recognized Chinese herb because of its detoxification powers. It invigorates and cools down the body at the same time. The use of licorice is to treat hepatitis, sore throat, and muscle spasms. It is very often added to a Chinese formula to harmonize all of the herbs, as well as slow the speed that the formula is digested.
2. Língzhī (Ganoderma lucidum, 灵芝) is able to up-regulate aspects of the immune system. It is prized by the Chinese for helping to enhance the impact of antioxidants, increase white blood corpuscle vitality and have an overall calming effect on the body. Lingzhi has also been known to help reduce insomnia and female sexual dysfunction.
1. Renshen (Ginseng, 人参) is known to help boost energy, reduce stress and increase endurance. It helps to replenish body fluids and depleted energy. Ginseng also helps to remove toxins from the body and also stimulates sex glands. The use of ginseng is a safe way to boost energy, vitality and overall health.